Thursday, March 15, 2007

Anyone Want to Memorize the Bible With Me?

After marching through Ephesians 3:14-21, I've decided that I want to do the entire book. This is the first time that I have ever decided to memorize the Bible. My church has a weird verse memorization thing going on, but they seem to have no plan or direction. This week, it's Matthew 4:19 And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

That, in any case, doesn't require much "oh, I forgot the memory verse, let me quickly review it on the way to church" festivities.

And what is very, very strange is that I looked up Bible memorization on the 'net, and everyone seems to be memorizing Ephesians. V. strange.

OK, I'm starting at the beginning. Here's my current plan.

1. I'm memorizing from the English Standard Version. I come from a KJV-only background, so don't blame me for not memorizing from one of them dang-blasted perVersions. My training makes it feel naughty to read anything but the AV 1611. Besides, when I compare the ESV rendering of Ephesians 3:14-21 to most of the "free-er" versions, I like the beauty of the ESV better.

2. I'm taking it at two verses a week. Yes, just two. Now, when working on 3:14-21, I finished it faster. However, I only require myself to learn two verses each week. I often learn more---but I don't make myself do it.

3. I'm keeping it mostly private. My immediate tendency is to go shout my verses at some hapless listener, but I'm just killing that for now by totally avoiding quoting what I've learned. For now, it's best.

4. I am starting in Ephesians.

5. I'd like company.

Even if you're memorizing another book, I'd love to hear from you. Or if you're inspired to start. Don't feel intimidated---I've barely started.

So, join in!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How's memorizing Ephesians going? I'm starting today, been wanting to ever since I saw it suggested by an online pastor 2 weeks ago. The most I ever memorized is 1 Corinthians 13 so I'm up for the challenge. It's a lot easier to meditate on His word morning and evening if it's wirtten on our hearts. Happy studies.