Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Call To KJV People!

Actually, this is a call to anyone who possesses some knowledge about Bibles. A friend is looking around for a new Bible---apparently the binding on her Bible is falling apart. She's had it for some years, and although she'll probably lay it away, swathed in silken cloth and tender memories, she needs something more sturdy to pound at church.

Requirements.

1. King James Version (no, it doesn't have to be the 1611)

2. It has to "look like a Bible." None of those pink/purple/neon/metal hybrids. She prefers black, or a dignified navy.

I'd throw in these

3. Sturdy binding

4. Clear, legible type

5. If possible, a decent cross-reference system. I like the Jewel-reference verse thing, I believe that Holman does that.

I refuse to buy on of those plasticy, el-cheapo, yellow paged "Gift & Award" Bibles. Who'd give someone such a shoddy piece of work? Oh, and don't make it too expensive. (Grinning here, because my list of requirements is too long already)

Does anyone have a decent, quality Bible that they've used or heard recommended?

2 comments:

Pickle Boy said...

I would recommend either the Oxford Brevier Clarendon Edition or the Oxford Brevier Blackface Edition, both available from bibles-direct.com
http://bibles-direct.com/category.phtml?Category=26

or here:
http://bibles.qc.ca/bp_cart/en-ca/dept_34.html

Depending on the binding you choose, these can be pretty pricey. But Allan's bindings are unbelievably nice! I have one of their ESV Bible bound in black highland goatskin, and have NEVER seen a nicer quality leather binding in my life.

Here's a review of an Allan's bound ESV like the one I own:

http://www.jmarkbertrand.com/bibles/allans/index.htm

I hope that helps.

opinion-minion said...

I'd love to be able to persuade my friend to buy either one, if only so I could have the selfish pleasure of handling an Allan Bible. Alas, however, people think that spending more than $20 on any book is wasteful and extravagant, so I have small hopes of persuading her that since it will last FOREVER it will pay for itself. I can try. Thanks---and I love jmarks stuff about Bibles, I reread those posts like an addict.