Sunday, March 18, 2007

Too Many Freaking Bibles

I've barely even started. And I already have this many bibles, about two were bought new, and the rest picked up used.

1. God's Story ESV
2. Single column side reference '77 NASB
3. Make It Count CEV
4. Good News for Modern Man (the hardcover gold version, with the sweet pictures inside?)
5. Waterlogged pocket KJV that needs to hit the trash
6. Youthwalk Devotional Bible NIV
7. Blue cowhide NIV (v. nice)
8. Duo-tone NIV

There's just this deep instinct that leads me to mindlessly purchase Bibles. I still need

1. The Living Bible
2. NKJV
3. NCV
4. TNIV (I'm using the ESV, but would love to see these two side by side in one edition. It would just be priceless, after people have been mindlessly pitting the two against each other. I don't give a damn if they do use man, and nothing has been lost when they say people, God is not angry, I promise)
5. Decent copy of the KJV
6. Updated NASB
7. ASV (Picked up an actual original, 1901, dried, leathery, crumbling, sold it for $45, woot)
8. RV
9. RSV
10. NRSV
11. HCSB
12. Geneva
13. Tyndale
14. Bishop
15. The rest that I've forgotten right now.

2 comments:

R. Mansfield said...

Be careful, my count of distinct translations in our house now is at 84. See my list here: http://homepage.mac.com/rmansfield/thislamp/Bibles/index.html

And that doesn't even count specific ones I use for carrying to church or teaching from, or study editions, etc.

opinion-minion said...

I'm working on it.

I now have my copy of the standard KJV, my HCSB has been picked up at the local Ollies, and I'm leaving for---

84?

And I'm already picked on for my obsession. Sigh.