Tuesday, April 10, 2007

(Warning, this is!) A Poem

I love our rhythm
we fall in beside each other; mellow.
There is an even tenor to all our ways.

I love your small smiles
that blossom under my sunshine
No one else can see
how beauty full you are

I love - the idea of love
and the untenable longings that quiver
between us: we will never
be satisfied. There will be
an ache behind our contentment.

You will never understand how I love -

the way I can never exhaust you as a subject.

I’ll always be able to describe the way
you lean your cheek into your hand, the soft
and supple flesh escaping around white,
concentrated fingertips; your frown of concentration.

The subtle shift of light in your eyes
as you drop the Wall Street Journal
and turn your eyes to me
shining.

We will not go to work today.
We will breath in hazy sunlight.
Under this whole wide sky
we’re the only ones ready
to rise to meet God in the air.

Yeah. I really love the way we spin out
onto reality’s finest edge, the black ice.
I love the way you make it the best thing in the world
to go crashing through.
Swept away.

And I’ll spend all day telling you this
and you will smile and nod.

Both of us will send messages
with our fingertips, delicately
catching
at paper-thin air.

No comments: